RCM is an affordable, high resolution and sensitive confocal imaging system – an ideal solution for small labs with limited budget, but demanding tasks, particularly when high sensitivity and resolution are desired from the imaging system. On top of that, RCM is extremely easy to use! No hardware control needed, no software processing needed!
- An upgrade to an existing wide-field fluorescence system – RCM is a plug-and-play box that can easily be added to the existing wide-field fluorescence microscope system, and increase its resolution to 170nm.
- Living cells – RCM has a very high signal-to-noise ratio and quantum efficiency (80-95%, depending on the camera), which means no need for high laser power.
- Ratio-imaging and multi-color applications – RCM can work in multi-colour mode for different colour combinations and ratio-imaging (applications like FRET, FRAP, pH, and Ca2+ imaging).
- Frame rate – the frame rate of the RCM is 1FPS, at 512*512, which makes the acquisition time of 3 colour image about 3 seconds. Certain applications that require a bit faster imaging, or reduced time between the different colours, can be solved by re-programming the scanning mode, read more in the recent blog post HERE.
- Resolution – the standard resolution of the RCM is 170 nm at 488 nm wavelength. This is also called super-resolution. In contrast to other super-resolution systems, RCM offers the super-resolution of the live (raw) image without any processing. The resolution of the RCM can be further improved by using deconvolution. We have shown that we can go down to 140nm resolution in this case. We are working on another solution to improve the standard resolution even further, so stay informed, and sign up to our newsletter by letting know about yourself and your research interests in this form.