Erik Manders attended the University of Amsterdam where he graduated in experimental physics and then completed his PhD in the laboratory of Fred Brakenhoff. After post-doc positions at the Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm and the University of Oxford, he returned to the University of Amsterdam (UvA) where he became professor of microscopy and managing director of the Centre for Advanced Microscopy. Later, he became guest professor at the University of Ghent and scientific head of the Nikon Centre of Excellence in Amsterdam. He gives guest lectures and tutorials across the world on several subjects: multi-colour confocal microscopy (Manders-coefficients), phototoxicity in microscopy (Controlled Light Exposure Microscopy – CLEM) and super-resolution microscopy (SIM and Re-scan Confocal Microscopy (RCM)). During his career of more than 25-years in advanced microscopy, he has more than 75 scientific publications and is (co-)inventor on seven patents. Within his research group, “Innovative Microscopy Lab” at the University of Amsterdam, he has developed the Re-scan Confocal Microscopy (RCM). Together with Peter Drent (CEO), he founded in 2016 the company “Confocal.nl” to bring the RCM technology to the market. As the scientific director of Confocal.nl, Manders and his team are responsible for technical support and product innovation.
- De Luca, G. M. R., Desclos, E., Breedijk, R. M. P., Dolz-Edo, L., Smits, G. J., Nahidiazar, L., Manders, E. M. M. (2017). Configurations of the Re-scan Confocal Microscope (RCM) for biomedical applications. Journal of Microscopy, 266(2), 166-177.
- De Luca, G., Breedijk, R., Hoebe, R., Stallinga, S., & Manders, E. (2017). Re-scan confocal microscopy (RCM) improves the resolution of confocal microscopy and increases the sensitivity. Methods and applications in fluorescence, 5(1), .
- Pandey, R., Vischer, N. O. E., Smelt, J. P. P. M., van Beilen, J. W. A., Ter Beek, A., De Vos, W. H., … Manders, E. M. M. (2016). Intracellular pH Response to Weak Acid Stress in Individual Vegetative Bacillus subtilis Cells. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 82(21), 6463-6471.
- de Boer, R., Smith, R. L., De Vos, W. H., Manders, E. M. M., Brul, S., & van der Spek, H. (2015). Caenorhabditis elegans as a Model System for Studying Drug Induced Mitochondrial Toxicity. PLoS One, 10(5), [e0126220].
- Pandey, R., Pieper, G. H., ter Beek, A., Vischer, N. O. E., Smelt, J. P. P. M., Manders, E. M. M., & Brul, S. (2015). Quantifying the effect of sorbic acid, heat and combination of both on germination and outgrowth of Bacillus subtilis spores at single cell resolution. Food Microbiology, 52, 88-96.
- Shahi, S., Beerens, B., Manders, E. M. M., & Rep, M. (2015). Dynamics of the establishment of multinucleate compartments in Fusarium oxysporum. Eukaryotic Cell, 14(1), 78-85.
- Smith, R. L., De Vos, W. H., de Boer, R., Manders, E. M. M., & van der Spek, H. (2015). In vivo visualization and quantification of mitochondrial morphology in C. elegans. In V. Weissig, & M. Edeas (Eds.), Mitochondrial medicine. – Vol. 2: Manipulating mitochondrial function (pp. 367-377). (Methods in molecular biology; No. 1265). New York: Humana Press.
- Nahidiazar, L., Kreft, M., van den Broek, B., Secades, P., Manders, E. M. M., Sonnenberg, A., & Jalink, K. (2015). The molecular architecture of hemidesmosomes, as revealed with super-resolution microscopy. Journal of Cell Science, 128(20), 3714-3719. DOI: 10.1242/jcs.171892
- Nieuwenhuizen, R. P. J., Nahidiazar, L., Manders, E. M. M., Jalink, K., Stallinga, S., & Rieger, B. (2015). Co-Orientation: Quantifying Simultaneous Co-Localization and Orientational Alignment of Filaments in Light Microscopy. PLoS One, 10(7), e0131756. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0131756